Blogs...

Current Blogs
FMP Design Practice - My ideas and development for each of the briefs that I am working on for my final project of my 3rd year

Design Context - The designers, work, processes and existing products that I am looking at the gain inspiration and help to inform my design work

Personal Professional Development - Documentation of my professional development over the course of my 3rd year

Bread and Butterflies - This blog remains the homepage/hub of all my blogs, as well as acting as an area that I use for posting stuff that doesn't relate directly to my design work.

Idle Blogs
3rd Year Module 1 Design Practice

Thursday 27 November 2008

Litho Printing...

For my final resolutions, I have stated that I would use litho printing to produce the leaflet. I think that litho printing is probably the most relevant type of printing to all of the work I produce (not just in this brief). I have found a brief explanation about how lithography printing works, and having been taught about it, and seen how the machines work, it all seems rather simple now!

From Wikipedia:
"Offset printing is a commonly used printing technique where the inked image is transferred (or "offset") from a plate to a rubber blanket, then to the printing surface. When used in combination with the lithographic process, which is based on the repulsion of oil and water, the offset technique employs a flat (planographic) image carrier on which the image to be printed obtains ink from ink rollers, while the non-printing area attracts a water-based film (called "fountain solution"), keeping the non-printing areas ink-free."

Some of the advantages of litho printing are:
Consistent high quality images, quick and easy production of the printing plates, plates last longer than direct litho printing and the cost of mass print production is very low as the main costs go into plate production and set up.

This image shows how an offset litho press works, where there is a rubber roller between the plate roller, and the paper which transfers the image.

No comments: